Monday, April 16, 2012

It is National Save a Life Month

April is National Organ Donation Awareness--Save a Life Month! Green is the "official" color!

First things first:

I have some great news! My liver levels have been fluctuating some but my last report on Friday showed everything in range and on target according to my transplant team. Also, they had me get an ultrasound of the DVT (blood clot)in my left leg last Thursday. The results were also great news! The medicine is working. The clots extended from my ankle to the very top of my thigh. With the newest ultrasound--the lower part of my leg and the upper part of my thigh are clear and blood is flowing through them! There is a section behind my knee where some blood is getting through but there is residuals from the clot. My mid thigh is still clogged and may be chronic which means blood flow would never get through again. But the veins around it have enlarged and taken over to help keep the blood flowing! I will continue the daily shots through July and recheck but the meds are working! Praise the Lord! I am seeing a cardiologist on Thursday because I have sinus tachycardia and they just want to have the heart specialists give their opinion.  Update:  My heart looked and sounded normal and healthy!!

I was asked to speak at St. Jude's church on Sunday. They were trying to create awareness for organ donation so I shared as my mom put it, the "cliff's notes" version of my story. They were very nice, encouraging and eager to learn more. It was my first time to actually share my story with such a huge group and I literally was shaking all over like a bowl full of jello. My mom did record me telling my story and I will post it on here in the next couple of days.

Since it is National Organ Donation month, here are a few startling but important facts:

**About 18 people on the transplant list die a day before the organ they need ever becomes available.
**At this moment, more than 113,000 people in the US alone are waiting for an organ.
**One organ donor can save up to 13 lives.
**The success rate for organ transplant is between 80-90%.
**Anyone regardless of age, race or medical history can sign up to be a donor!

2 comments:

  1. Two things:
    1. I think I already told you I'm an organ donor. Lucky person, too. They're probably going to get all my good dancing genes. And grammar genes. Which leads me to my next point...

    2. Are you aware you wrote "National Organization month" instead of National Organ Donor month? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU Kacy and yes I did notice after I published it. But it won't let me go back and edit.... It's always blank when I try to edit it.

    And yes, very glad you are an organ donor, I will keep a watch on your eyes and make sure they stay put! :)

    ReplyDelete