Friday, February 17, 2012

"We are going to pump you up!" -- Dr. Tujios

Well, maybe those weren't my transplant teams' exact words about the steroid treatments..... :)


Update: I am THRILLED to say that Prayers are being answered!!!!!!!!!!


Day 4 in the hospital and the IV steroid (solu-medrol) treatments in combination with a different/previous anti-rejection drug (prograf) are working just as the doctors had hoped! After the transjugular biopsy last Monday, the results showed that I am having an episode of moderate-severe rejection. My transplant team decided that they NEEDed/had to stop the rejection ASAP!

After 3 rounds of IV steroids in St. Paul's and the combined increase of anti rejection meds, the results are GREAT! My liver numbers we are focusing on (ALT and AST) should be 10-35 and mine were in the 300's a couple days before I was admitted on Valentine's Day. But by then they had already started slowly trending down (because they'd already been increasing anti rejection doses)and now after each round of steroids they have decreased immensely!!! Yesterday they were down at 39 and 138 (10-35 goal) from the 300's! Today's results have not yet been reported but they anticipate they will be continuing to decrease AND drum roll please......if so I can go home today on an out patient basis!!!! Praise God! My doctor will monitor me on high oral doses of steroids--tapering them off until down to normal and liver is stable--which would mean I would no longer in rejection!! My blood thinner (Coumadin) still isn't therapeutic so I'm continuing with the twice daily shots for now and may need to the next 6 months.

But so far the treatment is fighting the rejection and I am already starting to feel better: less pain around liver and incision, Not nauseous literally 24 hours a day, and I look forward to more progress each day!

I may not be a meteorologist but Nobody is going to rain on my parade today! All of YOUR faithful prayers and positive thoughts are working!
Praise God and may you be blessed in many ways for your Unwavering support! THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. WHOOOHOOOOO! Thank you Lord! Hang in there Kaley!! We love you! We are praying!! The Kulwicki's

    ReplyDelete